Carrara Challenge X – Past hopes and present nostalgia
With Prizes Brought to You by Daz and HowieFarkes
DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!
DAZ is donating:
1st Place: $100 towards Daz owned items.
2nd Place: $50 towards Daz owned items.
3rd Place: $25 towards Daz owned items.
In addition, two Honorable Mentions will receive a $10 Daz owned item.
This month’s sponsor is HowieFarkes and winners will also receive items from his store.
Each artist may submit up to two images by 9pm Mountain Time MT, July 14th, 2014.
The subject is “Past hopes and present nostalgia”. It’s a two sided theme with a render illustrating either the idea people from the past had of our present time and/or what we can be nostalgic of their time.
1 Each submission must incorporate at least 2 (TWO) objects created or significantly enhanced in Carrara for that image.
2 Each submission must also incorporate at least one object created using the plant editor (with HowieFarkes as our sponsor, you could have expected it grin ). Obviously, preset plants do not fall in that category. Alternatively, for those lucky ones who have the pro edition, this can be substituted (or completed grin) by an object modelized or shaded using 3D paint.
If an artist submits two images, then votes for the two images are combined for a single score for that artist, with limitations as described below. Voters may vote for up to three images.
Voters may also indicate one provisional tie-breaker/honorable mentions (not by an artist the voter voted for). The artist with the most combined votes receives the first place prizes.
Prizes are Daz owned items up to $100, $50, and $25 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers, respectively. Two honorable mentions receive a Daz owned item up to $10.
I’m living in Europe and my time zone is GMT+1, but, this being an international challenge, we’ll keep DAZ time as a reference (Mountain Time Zone, UTC-7) as for many other instances of this challenge.
As I’m usually sound asleep at the hours stated below, I may start thread in advance and close them a bit late .
Anyway, the time stamp on the thread entry will be used to check whether the entry is valid or not (submission or vote).
Dates to Remember:
– WIP Thread Opens: June 16th, 2014
– Submissions Open: 9:00 PM MT June 23rd, 2014
– Submissions Close: 9:00 PM MT July 7th, 2014
– Voting Starts: 9:00 PM MT July 7th, 2014
– Voting Ends: 9:00 PM MT July 14th, 2014
– If you are unsure of Mountain Time, go to this link to get the current MT date/time:
1) Each artist can post up to 2 (TWO) entries. All votes for images by the same artist will be combined into a single score for that artist. You may not give more than one vote to a single image, but you can vote for two images by the same artist.
2) All entries must be submitted into the “Challenge Entries” thread before 9:00 PM Mountain Time (MT) on July 7th, 2014. Artists must provide (as a minimum) a title, a general description of the work (e.g., how it was done, post work (rule 4), created or significantly enhanced objects (rule 5), and a content/plugin credit list (if used) If you are going to be unavailable to post your final entry, post your final render in the WIP thread, indicating that it IS your final entry and provide all the necessary
information. It will transferred to the entries thread after it opens.
3) All renders must be done in Carrara. In the spirit of exploring Carrara’s full potential, plug-ins are allowed. For example, the LuxRenderer plug-in can be used. However, in this case, a WIP must be posted in the WIP thread, showing the scene set-up inside Carrara, and a description of how the LuxRendered was set up MUST be included. Other content use is allowed
and welcome, but MUST be credited. If you used HDRI, be sure to mention that too.
4) Postwork is allowed. But, if you use postwork, the raw render(s) going into your postworked image MUST be posted in the WIP thread, along with a brief description of what kind of postwork you did.
5) A minimum of 2 (two) objects in the scene must be created or significantly enhanced in Carrara. See the section below for examples of what constitutes “significantly enhanced.”
6) At least 2 Works in Progress (WIPs) must be posted in this (WIP) thread before your final render is uploaded to the contest thread.
If you use postwork, at least one WIP must include the raw Carrara render and describe your postwork plans, pursuant to rule (4).
Other WIPs can be pre-render screenshots of the scene set-up, low quality samples, early drafts, and hand-drawn sketches with thoughts and ideas you are playing around with. Also, when you post your WIPs, please share what you are planning, problems you are working through, and breakthroughs you have discovered.
7) Content and Plugin use are allowed and welcome, but MUST be fully credited in the contest thread when your entry is posted.
8) All renders must be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished.
Voting and Scoring Rules:
1) Anyone with a DAZ account can give 1 vote each for up to three different images. You may vote for each image entry only once.
However, each entry selected by the voter provides the artist with one vote (point). Thus, if an artist has submitted two entries,
and a person gives one vote to each entry and the third vote to another artist’s entry, then the voter will have given 2 votes (points) to
the first artist and one vote (point) to the second artist. Voters may not give two votes to the same image entry. Voters may not give three votes to the same artist.
2) Contestants may not vote for their own images- Do not not vote for Host Image- It is not up to win any prizes.
3) Voting can begin immediately after the submission close date/time.
4) Voters may provide one provisional tie-breaker/honorable mention vote. A tie-breaker/honorable mention vote may be cast for an entry of an artist that the voter has not voted for. Tie breaker votes are not counted unless there is a tie for first, second, or third place.
5) If artists receive the same vote total, the first tie breaker will be to count the tie-breaker votes among the tied participants. If there is still a tie,
the contest sponsor (HowieFarkes) will break the tie.
6) The challenge coordinator (Philemo) cannot place for any prize.
7) Anonymous votes will be accepted with just cause. Send me (Philemo) a PM with the entries you are voting for, along with an explanation of just cause. If persuaded that the cause is just,
I will add an “anonymous” post to the contest thread.
What are “created or significantly enhanced” objects
1) Creating an object in Carrara’s vertex modeler, the spline modeler, the metaball modeller, or the plant editor.
2) Morphing or modifying an object (including a primitive) beyond recognition or cutting parts from it, and using it for something completely different.
3) Covering an object with fur or creating dynamic hair for it.
4) Rigging and using that rig to pose an object.
5) Altering or creating UV-maps, or creating special shaders or textures.
6) Using the 3D-paint feature to texture the object or create shaders, shader masks, distribution maps, etc.
7) Creating unique variations of things like plants, oceans, particle generators, terrains, clouds, etc.
8) Inventive use of replicators. Just replicating an object doesn’t count as significantly enhanced, but creating new shapes using replicated objects does, or using distribution maps or nested replicators to create environments or interesting concepts would also count.
If you are not sure whether your enhancements qualify, please ask in this thread.
Please support these wonderful artists:
Current Sponsor’s Store:
Previous Sponsors’ Stores:
: MMoir’s store
: PhilW’s store
: Age of Armour‘s store
: DimensionTheory’s store
: Dartanbeck’s store
: RingoMontfort’s store
: Sadot’s store
Remember, the aim is to have fun, learn and share a little about Carrara with others, show off Carrara’s versatility and strengths, and show off your personal artistic and Carrara talents! So let the rendering begin!
Apologies to prior challenge coordinators for plagiarizing their postings, including this apology. I do want to thank them too for keeping these challenges going so smoothly!
The work in Progress Thread will be open until submission close. The submissions thread will open June 23rd.
So get your game faces on!